[ABE.pm] CGI::Ajax

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Dec 13 20:26:48 PST 2005

Have you guys seen this module?  I saw a reference to it on Perlmonks
the other day, so I gave it a quick look.  After a quick perusal of the
documentation, it seemed that the module does most of the work as far as
writing the Javascript you need to update the contents of named divs.

Anywho, the module made me angry tonight :).  It is actually no fault of
the module.  I wanted to give it a try, and I thought this would be a
good excuse to update a very old perl script I wrote to manage my image
galleries on my web page.

First, I just wanted to test the module...  So I wrote a wee bit of code
just to pass a filename back to the browser in order to update the
current image that is displayed.  It only took me about 15 minutes to
write the code, it would have taken 5 if I had actually read the
documentation and saw that I have to create a reference to a function in
the javascript instead of a function.

At this point, I was very happy.  So I decided to work out how I was
going to actually do this.  At this point, I should probably say that I
am not usually a fan of javascript and generally avoid it at all costs.
 I just thought it would be fun to seehow much work it would be to write
an AJAX page with this module, and how hard it would be to make the same
page friendly to non-javascript browsers.

So, I decided that the easiest way to work with a directory of images
was to generate a javascript array of all the images and stuff that into
my template.  And it works quite well, and is quite easy to do...
Unfortunately, and this is the part that makes me angry, it doesn't
require the use of AJAX in any way :).

I guess what I am saying is that this module looks very easy to use, and
is probably worth looking at...  If you actually REALLY have a use for
AJAX :).  Has anyone else looked at it, or any other modules related to
AJAX?

Pat