[ABE.pm] Re: A coupla' more Qs

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Thu Oct 14 17:03:48 CDT 2004

* Faber Fedor <faber at linuxnj.com> [2004-10-14T17:09:20]
> On 14/10/04 12:40 -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> >
> > This is ugly, and other programmers will probably scowl if they see it.
> > Writing a Perl module is /really/ easy, and a good thing to learn.
>
> Yeah, that was easy.  And I found the "use lib" command(?) which gotme
> away from modifying @INC.

Yeah.  Look at ExtUtils::MakeMaker, and the contents of a simple
distribution like, say, Games-Die.  It's easy to make a distribution for
your own code, so you can easily send your code into the right place in
@INC every time you need to update the installed code.

> > I hate hate hate [ActiveState's Perl IDE]... not because I use it,
> > but because it makes it basically impossible to use the wonderful
> > standard Perl debugger.  I use perldb all the time, and it rules.
>
> I think that's the first time I've ever heard "wonderful" and "standard
> Perl debugger" in the same sentence. :-)  I must be missing something.
> Care to give a demo on practical usage of perldb sometime?

Yes... but not tonight. :)  My hands are killing me!  Actually, I should
try to prepare a good example, too, rather than just blather.