[ABE.pm] Re: perl regex Q

Phil Lawrence phil at five-lawrences.com
Wed Dec 15 09:58:10 CST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 20:31, Faber Fedor wrote:

> On 14/12/04 20:08 -0500, Jim Eshleman wrote:
>> Likely not as fast as a regex but *maybe* easier to understand.
>
> That's a joke, right? :-)
>
> (Someday I'll learn what map does too!)

I felt the same until that day finally came for me.  Really, now I
don't know what kept me from grokking map!

map rules, and i use it all the time when manipulating nested hashrefs.
  Why?  because it's otherwise hard to code clean and simple "look at
and understand" hashref data structure manipulation.  map is a good
tool for doing complex transformations on the fly, i.e. as you
iterate/sort/whatever through hash keys and data.

prl