[ABE.pm] Re: automating FTP in Perl

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Fri Dec 10 11:34:43 CST 2004

Okay, the Net::FTP is alot cleaner than using Expect.pm but I'm still
having problems with error logging, specifically, in my code I say:

    $ftp->get($ftp_cfg{file}, $datafile)
        or log_message("tag", "get failed  $ftp->message") && die;

(where log_message is my function that just calls logger) and the error
report I get is:

     Dec 10 12:39:28 myserver tag: get failed Net::FTP=GLOB(0x874b50c)->message

But, if I create the log message this way:

     log_message("tag", "get failed " . $ftp->message) && die;

I get the "proper" error message:

     Dec 10 12:45:46 myserver tag: get failed my20041210.csv: The system cannot find the file specified.

I was under the impression that the compiler would interpret everything
in the double quotes but here it obviously isn't.  Why is that?

On another note, I'm assuming thatthe reason the "&& die" isn't executed
is because log_message returns nothing, right?

Faber

Linux New Jersey: Open Source Solutions for New Jersey