[za-pm] setting up local::lib

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Mon May 9 11:51:42 PDT 2011

Hi,

with a new machine I am aiming to get a bugfree cpan and catalyst
installation this time around. (more care needed, also more knowledge
available to me than previously) I did have a local installation
previously but ... (lots of them).

So, the Catalyst book (Diment et al. THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO ... )
recommends installing local::lib through cpan, thus.

$ cpan
cpan[1]> install local::lib

nothing wrong with that, I take it, except that this is not as
discussed in local::lib documentation, or on this link (which looks
the same) - basically download the tarball, unzip, then the whole
make procedure.

http://perl.jonallen.info/writing/articles/install-perl-modules-without-root

what are the implications of the two methods, or will they both result
in identical installations.

I await comment before committing myself at the prompt. Thanks for
input.

Anne