[Za-pm] sub name in a special var?

Spike spikeh at mweb.co.za
Fri Jun 10 05:56:36 PDT 2005

Hi All
Is there a special var that holds, or a function that returns the name of
the current subroutine in the came way that $0 holds the script name or
caller() returns the calling package?

I am writing a load of subs that do various things to tables on a database.
I will use the tablename as the sub name so that I don't get too lost and
it would save a lot of code alterations if the selects, inserts and all the
other things each sub will do could dynamically get the table name from the
sub name.

Each sub will do slightly different stuff so I can't use one sub and loop
through the tablenames but they do have similarities that could be coded
with a $subname instead of 'MY_TABLE"