[Za-pm] Re: Za-pm digest, Vol 1 #15 - 1 msg

Nico Coetzee nico at itfirms.co.za
Mon May 26 12:16:36 CDT 2003

> ---snip---
> Yah, well ... No, fine!
> Beginnings are always somewhat slow. There's something that's been going
> through my mind, though: perl vs PHP.
>
> Being a permanent "perl beginner", I haven't had much time to penetrate
> the language very deeply, never mind investigating PHP and its
> usefulness. What I gather is that PHP is some kind of html scripting
> (presumably much like JavaScript). On the other hand, there must be a
> few people in this group, who have had experience with both scripting
> languages (perl and PHP) to be able to provide a bit of a comparison.
> i.e. when is it useful to use PHP, why not integrating both scripts
> (which I'm sure many people do), is there anything you do with PHP that
> cannot be done with PERL, etc.
>
> Apology in advance for the naive suggestion, since I suspect that most
> of the subscribers to this group have subscribed because they hate PHP
> or they feel that, in most situations, PERL beats PHP hands down.
>
> ciao

One of my Brazilian friends made a interesting comment a day or so ago: He said that it seems that PHP programmers ussually find it difficult to use Perl on a "pro" level and vice versa, which seems to suggest that although the two languages appear to be very similar, they are just different enough to be very confusing - if that makes any sense.

With that said, I can speak with some personal experience - I can debug most PHP scripted applications ( think phpMyAdmin etc. ) but I don't see myself writing a PHP application any time soon - simply because I know how to do it in Perl.

With regards to your statement regarding PHP as a scripting language - I would say it's more like ASP then JavaScript. It relies on Server Side execution rather then client side.

Cheers