[Za-pm] Re: Za-pm digest, Vol 1 #21 - perl modules

Dr Giancarlo Contrafatto contrafa at biology.und.ac.za
Tue Jun 3 09:12:25 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:05, Nick Cleaton wrote:

[SNIP]
> > all_watchers.pm but also needs some unspecified "loadable object" which
> > I haven't been able to identify by checking around line 23 of Events.pm.
> > So, maybe I should have "made" Tk when I downloaded it but, it came
> > without makefile and the pod didn't mention anything about
> > installations.
>
> Yes, that's it exactly, you need to get the module source and build it
> rather than downloading individual .pm files.

Right! Maybe this issue should make up the beginning of a za-pm Q&A for
novices, called "The dumb things beginners do when they don't ask around
or 101 frustrating reasons for giving up programming" :-)

[SNIP]

> To get Tk from CPAN, you might do something like this at the shell
> prompt:
>
>   perl -MCPAN -eshell

Er ... yea ... right, I've discovered it just yesterday while looking
for bits and pieces of Tk on my machine. (Dumb thing number two: check
ALL the documentation before starting).

> If you don't want to use CPAN.pm, you can download the latest version of
> the Tk module source and build it yourself.  The source is available for
> download at:
>
> http://ftp.rucus.ru.ac.za/pub/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module/Tk/Tk800.023.tar.gz

Exactly what I was looking for but, I couldn't find it on the
perldoc.org CPAN. So, dumb thing number three (make sure that what you
download is exactly what you were looking for).

Thanks again.

ciao

--
we should distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes. Henry David
Thoreau