is this list still a main thing?

VM Brasseur yapcna at vmbrasseur.com
Wed May 20 09:45:02 PDT 2015

On 05/20/2015 09:22 , Uri Guttman via yapc wrote:
> On 05/20/2015 10:25 AM, John SJ Anderson via yapc wrote:
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Uri Guttman via yapc <yapc at pm.org
>> <mailto:yapc at pm.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Attendees are no longer automatically added to this list. That was a
>> decision made based on the overwhelming preference of past attendees.
>
> bah, humbug! then how is one to communicate with the attendees? the
> dinner stuff may be the only threads now but in the past there were
> plenty of yapc related discussions. how would you publicize an event or
> a bof or discuss some scandalous breaking of rules?

Well, if one is an organizer then one uses the announcement list. If one
isn't an organizer then it's likely safe to assume that what one has to
communicate may not be of general interest to all attendees. And if it
IS, then one works through the organizers to have information
communicated. As well…

Events and BoFs are easily publicized on the wiki. As is dinner.
Granted, I think that the organizers could do a far better job of
directing attendees toward the wiki, both before and during the event,
but it's still the best way to share ad hoc events and information.

The scandalous breaking of rules is not fit subject matter for a public
mailing list. The organizers will handle rule breakers how they deem
best. If you wish to muckrake, there's undoubtedly an IRC channel to
which you can turn.

>> (Also, as somebody who sees the subscribe/unsubscribe notifications, I
>> can tell you the frequency of the latter are directly correlated with
>> the posting volume on the list. Seeing quite a few of them in the past
>> couple days...)
>
> wow. and those who unsubscribe want to be at yapc with even more noise
> but less communication?

This does not parse.

> are yapc attendees really using facebook and twitter vs mail these days?
> proprietary locked in systems vs an open and free one? yow.

Is it necessary to pass judgment on attendees in this way? You cannot
will your market to communicate in your preferred method. You must speak
their language. If that language is Facebook and Twitter, so be it. You
can still extol the virtues of openness via proprietary systems.

Sent from my MacBook, BTW.

--V