YAPC::NA Schedule is available

drforr at pobox.com drforr at pobox.com
Wed Apr 1 02:08:10 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-01 05:37, Mike South via yapc wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Michael McClennen via yapc
> <yapc at pm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Given the recent announcement that Perl 6 will be released by the end
>> of
>> the year, I am very surprised that the schedule includes only 3 talks
>> listed under the Perl6 category.  (Plus, presumably, the Q&A with
>> Larry on
>> Tuesday.)
>>

> The announcement at FOSDEM 2015 if I understand correctly.  That was
> Jan
> 31-Feb 1 (source https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/ ).

Yep, I was there.

> The dealine for proposals for YAPC::NA was Jan 15.  (Source
> http://blog.yapcna.org/2014/12/15/yapcna2015-slc-call-for-papers-is-open/
> )
>
> To address this problem, speakers would need to have predicted the
> content
> of Larry's talk fifteen days before the deadline for YAPC::NA.

Some of us had insider info :) Though I was planning on presenting
something on perl6 anyway, just to buck the trend.

> Therefore, after some research into the timing you should not be "very
> surprised" about this, but rather "somewhat dismayed that the timing
> worked
> out as it did".
>

>> I understand that the organizers have to work with the proposals that
>> people send in, but is there something we as a community can do to
>> improve
>> this situation?  The thing I most want to get from YAPC this year is
>> more
>> information about Perl 6.

Well, mine will mostly be stupid grammar tricks :) Seriously though,
while there are some cool ideas in perl6 it'll take a few years for the
kinks to work out. I'm mostly presenting some of the ideas in the hopes
that someone will get inspired enough to help file off the rough edges.
Also there are still vast green-field areas to play in, feel free to
come in and romp around.

> One thing you can do personally is attend the Perl 6-centric hackathon
> listed at this previously-posted url:
> http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/hackathons.html (there is registration
> link
> there).

I'll be at at least one of those.

> A meaty bof session might be another way of addressing what it likely
> to be
> a significant thirst for information on this topic.  "Meaty Bof
> Session" is
> also a pretty good name for a band.

Also skirting dangerously close to the SoC guidelines :) It's only a few
months until the conference but I'll have some other ideas to toss
around at the sessions, I'm sure. Assuming I don't run into *too* many
new bugs :)

> In order for a meaty bof session to be successful, it probably needs to
> be
> led by someone with real knowledge of the topic.  Perhaps someone on
> this
> list will volunteer or suggest a leader that could be politely
> petitioned
> to do that.

I'd offhand suggest either Jon Worthingthon or Patrick Michaud, but most
of the perl6ers I know of are here in Europe and not quite as likely to
journey across the Big Pond. I can certainly help out, but I by no means
consider myself with "real knowledge" I've filed a few bugs against some
of the things I've noticed while playing around, but don't consider
myself deeply knowledgeable.

>> My company recently used a tool called "pigeonhole live" (it's a pay
>> thing,
> but someone could probably write a replacement in time in perl :) ) to
> let
> people propose and then vote on a list of questions to address during a
> panel discussion (in real time as the panel was being conducted).  Such
> technology might be useful here.

We've done panel discussions at LPW, and maybe a few times at YAPC:EU,
I'm not sure how well it's caught on over in ::NA.