dha is the catalog!

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Thu May 30 20:48:45 PDT 2013

On 05/30/2013 11:38 PM, David H. Adler wrote:

> Ah, but I never claimed he was a good filmmaker. I just claimed he fit
> the auteur theory. I think my friend was claiming that one could not be
> an auteurist filmmaker if he/she didn't make good films. I disagreed.

i agree with you dha. the auteur theory as i know it was to say who is
the person most behind the film. in many cases it is the director and
those great directors whose films you know justify it. a hitchcock,
woody allen or spielberg film is usually easy to identify. they are the
auteur of their films. ed wood is an auteur by that rule. he is a BAD
auteur but his films are unmistakenly his films!

now films are a very collaborative enterprise and the director isn't the
only one with major influence on the final product. they are in many
case the most influential as they tell the other creatives and crafts
people what they want and give feedback when they don't get it. few
directors (good or bad) cast such a large shadow that you know it is
their work by just watching it.