downtown austin hotels

Matthew Wilson diakopter at gmail.com
Mon May 20 11:51:13 PDT 2013

Nuba, "implies" is definitely correct, here.

Reini, don't make any more comments generalizing about ethnic groups,
including people with ancestry in India or American "Indians", whichever
you meant.  Even if you thought you weren't replying to hundreds of people,
it's offensive because it implies that every member of the group you named
has that property [not keeping rooms clean, whether as guests or
management], which of course is immensely far from the truth, and shows you
have disdain for every member of that group because of that property.
 However, even if you don't think every member of that group has that
property, you were ALSO implying that ONLY members of that group have that
property, since you concluded that you don't have anything to worry about
if those people aren't involved, since ONLY those people could have that
property.  That is very revealing of your attitude.

Hugh, there is no relation to the YAPC::NA code of conduct, since this is a
public mailing list and you don't need to "sign" a code of conduct to join
it.  The mailing list is not just used by the North America YAPC, also.
 Also, even if Reini "signed" the YAPC::NA code of conduct, the conference
hasn't started yet.  Also, since it's not currently worded as an agreement,
"signing" the code of conduct is meaningless apart from acknowledging that
you have read the expectations of the Perl Foundation.  There is no
submission or commitment or agreement made to follow it.  It's just saying
"organizers might try to expel you if you don't live up to expectations";
"signing" it doesn't say one agrees to be expelled or stay away or not
demand or sue for a refund anyway.  A much toothier CoC agreement would be
one that says "I agree to leave and not come back if the organizers ask me
to leave, and I will not expect or demand a reason for being expelled if
they do not give one.  Separately, I will trust and will never doubt that
the Perl Foundation made the correct decision when expelling me if they do
so."  That one actually has something that can

Of course then, attending the conference then would represent a trust in
the Perl Foundation to be reasonable and judicious about such decisions,
which is nothing new...

-not as an "organizer", Matthew