RFC: YAPC Code of conduct up on github?

Michael G. Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Fri Mar 22 23:14:23 PDT 2013

On 3/22/13 10:30 PM, Denise Paolucci wrote:
> As someone who *has* been harassed at conferences
> before -- though not YAPC, which I've found delightful --
> it's always nice to hear efforts to make a particular
> space more welcoming come from people who are making
> those efforts because it's the right thing to do. :)

I'm very glad to hear you had a good time and I'm delighted to see you
on the YAPC planning list. :)

> I'll also drop in a link here to the Dreamwidth Diversity
> Statement, which contains the most exhaustive list of
> axes-of-diversity we (and our users) have been able to

Axes Of Diversity is my new metal band.

> think of in four years or so:
>
>    http://www.dreamwidth.org/legal/diversity
>
> Likely not all applicable, but it's CC-BY-SA, so feel
> free to borrow liberally!

Your list is excellent and I will definitely keep a copy for reference.

I've been thinking about this a lot.  I feel it expresses, in long hand,
a community value I've been trying to express succinctly...

  The only thing you should need at YAPC is an interest in Perl.

Interested in Perl?  You are welcome here.

It is our responsibility to make that as true as possible, and more true
every year.

YAPC was founded to make that true on one axis: money.  $1000 + cross
country airfare + hotels was a high barrier to attending The Perl
Conference.  Now its $100 + airfare + dorms.  They've done a great job!

There are other barriers to people attending and enjoying YAPC.  We
either tackle them, or we don't impede others who want to tackle them.

Interested in Perl?  You are welcome here... and we'll help figure out
the rest.

With the work we're doing on the CoC I hope this year I can say another
thing to attendees.

  If you have a problem at YAPC, you don't have to deal with it alone.

Don't want to talk to someone but they won't leave you alone?  We can
help you with that.  Feeling uncomfortable?  We can help you with that.
 Someone evangelizing at you a bit too hard and won't shut up?  We can
help you with that.  People having a really loud argument in a public
place and its bothering you? (I've been that guy)  We can help with that.

There's still work to be done before we can truly say that, the staff
procedures are a big part of that.  Hopefully Melissa will grab the
torch of volunteer and staff CoC training later.  But we're on our way
for this year. :)