RFC: YAPC Code of conduct up on github?

Rob Kinyon rob.kinyon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 18:36:33 PDT 2013

Given what Karen has said, the master branch will be what is currently the
CoC for 2013. Chris has already submitted a pull request and I'll merge it
as soon as he removes the .html file. Once that's merged, I'll tag it with
2013. Any discussion for amendments can go in a 2014_proposed branch. The
TPF will determine a cut-off date for submission to lawyers for review for
the CoC for 2014 and we'll just adhere to that.

I hope that the rest of the documents can be pushed into other repositories
under the YAPC-NA organization. Once other repositories are created, I
would ask for all the chairpersons of prior YAPCs submit their documents
for inclusion so that we can create a historical repository. Things like
planning documents, various legal contracts, etc. Maybe even talks and the
like can go here.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Karen Pauley <karen at martian.org> wrote:

> On 23 March 2013 09:17, Robert Blackwell <robert at robertblackwell.com>
> wrote:
> > I think this is a great idea to have the community work on the Code of
> > Conduct but do note that TPF has/had a lawyer helping to write a Code
> > of Conduct. Can someone from TPF chime to say if we can run a new
> > community edited Code of Conduct by the lawyers and what would the
> > timeframe be?  There already is a CoC for YAPC::NA,
> > http://www.yapcna.org/yn2013/code-of-conduct.html.
>
> When you sign-up for YAPC this year you check a box saying you agree
> to that specific code of conduct - the details of which are listed
> there.
> I don't believe that we are going to be able to change that document
> before YAPC::NA as we not only would we have to run it past lawyers we
> would have to get every attendee who has agreed to the current one to
> agree to the new document.  And whilst I am sure someone could come up
> with a technology solution for that we will run into problems with
> people having agreed to different versions of the code.  (Could we
> really turn people away who have agreed to the current code of conduct
> and have already paid and registered but who didn't happen to like the
> language in the new one?)
>
> Also it's so quick to write a phrase like - run it past lawyers - but
> in reality it takes a long time.  I started to work on the current
> code of conduct last August and I don't think it was ready to go on
> the website until around January this year.
>
> Going forward from this year's YAPC::NA I do believe that this
> document needs to evolve to reflect the ethos of the community.  I'd
> be happy to have interested parties work on improving the code -
> though we will have to let our lawyer look at any changes for a code
> we were planning on using at YAPC::NA.
>
> All the best,
>
> Karen

Thanks,