RFC: YAPC Code of conduct up on github?

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Fri Mar 22 17:34:19 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Robert Blackwell <
robert at robertblackwell.com> wrote:

> I think this is a great idea to have the community work on the Code of
> Conduct but do note that TPF has/had a lawyer helping to write a Code
> of Conduct. Can someone from TPF chime to say if we can run a new
> community edited Code of Conduct by the lawyers and what would the
> timeframe be?  There already is a CoC for YAPC::NA,
> http://www.yapcna.org/yn2013/code-of-conduct.html.

Right...  I'm sure the TPF wouldn't mind keeping an eye on it (he said,
possibly incurring the wrath of TPF), but YAPC is and always has been such
a community-driven conference that it would seem to be completely out of
character for us to have the opportunity to craft or improve our code of
conduct and _not_ do it.  This is _our_ conference, right?

If this is to have serious community buy-in (as Stevan said earlier) and be
a real, core part of how we run our YAPCs, at any rate, then we need to
take part in its form and substance :)  This code isn't just boilerplate or
another click-to-agree-don't-read-and-forgetit sorta deal, this is the
policy that I wish we had no need for whatsoever -- and yet is imperative
for setting the conference tone and levelsetting everyone's expectations.

                                          -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris scientia