Wooden Nickel visit on Thursday 11:00 - who wants to come along?

Wendy van Dijk yapc2009 at wendy.org
Fri Jun 7 01:16:31 PDT 2013

Thanks!
The visit to Wooden Nickel was very nice.  We got a nice t-shirt for
free, we got a lot of historic wooden nickels for free, the lady made
a picture of us in front of the giant wooden nickel (13ft 4 in).
The museum was quite interesting, very nice stuff, including old
computers and electronics (old as in many decades old).
We were not allowed to see the production of wooden nickels from
nearby.  The machines were working and could not be stopped without
having to reinitialise them all, plus that we would need to go
through security briefing.  They also have a new line of top-secret
multi-color nickel-production machines, and we were not yet allowed
to see them since they were not yet patented (I secretly saw them and
they were amazing).
I bought a giant wooden nickel (40cm in diameter) and am proud of the
darn thing.  There is also a nice collection of wooden toys and
wooden products for sale at the counter.

All in all, a worthwhile trip after an exciting and nice conference.

Greetz,
Wendy