looking for the college lab that trained students

Tommy Stanton tommystanton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 18:32:40 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Faelin McCaley Landy
<faelin.landy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Man, I'm jealous. My school doesn't teach Perl...

I took a "Introduction to Programming for Internet" course in college.
[0]  The professor had (thankfully) picked Perl, and the required
textbook was Learning Perl! :)  I was so excited to purchase an
O'Reilly book from the bookstore instead of another academic textbook.

Although the only CPAN module that we used was CGI.pm (whose demise we
discussed quite a bit at this YAPC just past), I'm still thankful
since I was exposed to scripting languages and dynamic web
development.  What a reprieve after only doing C++ up to that point!

[0] http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/schedule/detselect.aspx?termsel=06F&subareasel=COMPTNG&idxcrs=0040A+++