Why can't people unsubscribe themselves?

Mike South msouth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 13:21:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM, John Haugeland <john at crowdtilt.com> wrote:

> Many people who wish to show frustration with choices being made on their
> behalf feel that this is an appropriate mechanism to politely display their
> reaction.
>
> I am quite surprised that the reaction is "why can't you do this," rather
> than "why are you all suddenly leaving?"

Possibly we're just seeing people who were subscribed to the list
specifically because they were coming to YAPC::NA 2013, to get conference
updates and so forth.  This seems like a sensible and practical approach
for a wide variety of attendees, given that this is where important updates
and changes are announced.  I don't really think this is people "leaving
the community" so much as "reducing the noise in the inbox now that the
conference is over".

However, I don't know what the normal profile is for users on this list as
a specific conference approaches and ends, so I might be wrong.

mike