A warning about the conference t-shirts

Nóirín Plunkett noirin at apache.org
Thu Jun 6 10:09:10 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM, D Ruth Bavousett <druthb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Enjoy your privilege, folks.
>
> Being a person with a bionic leg, I rarely ever get the *opportunity* to opt
> for what happens.

Ironically (?), the times I've been *least* thoroughly screened have
all been when I was using a wheelchair.

> I get the thorough groping just about everywhere.

I've never had a genuinely thorough screening in the USA. Personally,
I would choose (and advocate) opting-out even if I did, but part of
what makes me furious about the TSA is that they do screen people
differently based on characteristics that have nothing to do with the
actual risks they're trying to prevent.

> I've gotten that treatment every time I've flown since way, way before TSA even
> existed, and even been asked to *remove my leg*.

!!! :-(

(I have no words. That is thoroughly not ok.)

> Being a transwoman these
> days makes it worse; it just confuses them, and I occasionally have to point
> loudly at my passport and note that I don't wish for a man to do that
> groping.

ibid.