Hackathons at YAPC::NA::2013

Bruce Gray bruce.gray at acm.org
Fri Feb 22 20:23:10 PST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Todd Rinaldo <toddr at cpanel.net> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Bruce Gray <bruce.gray at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> To the conference organizers:
>>
>> For those of us contemplating a pre-YAPC or post-YAPC hackathon, what space (as in "seat count") could be made available for hackathons, and more importantly, *when*?
>> Before YAPC?
>> After YAPC?
>> One day, or two days?
>>
>> If both before and after are possible, consider that Texas Linux Fest is on the same campus as YAPC on Friday and Saturday before YAPC.
>> 	http://www.yapcna.org/yn2013/wiki?node=PreConferenceActivities
> Actually I think the Texas Linux Festival is at the AT&T Center off campus.
>
>> That would make "before YAPC" a better choice for hackathons, since the LinuxFest is an extra draw for people on the fence about extra days.
>> On the other hand, LinuxFest might absorb all available spaces, leaving "after YAPC" as the only option.
>>
>> My personal interest is for a "Perl, The Next Generation" hackathon, currently proposed in #parrotsketch.
>> 	( Moe, Parrot, NQP, Rakudo, Niecza, p5-mop (Moose in P5-core), Topaz, etc. )
>>
>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Bruce Gray (Util of PerlMonks)
>
> Bruce,
>
> We've got a couple of options at the moment and I think we're too far out for me to tell you which one will happen.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/therinaldos/tags/yapcna2013/
>
> 1. Bennu Coffee which has in/out seating and Wifi - http://www.flickr.com/photos/therinaldos/8186385296/in/photostream/
> 2. The dining area at the TCC, where the conference will be held - http://www.flickr.com/photos/therinaldos/8186321506/in/photostream/
> 3. We could reserve a hackathon room on Sunday (and Thursday/Friday) if there's sufficient interest.
> 4. During the conference (Mon-Wed), we should have sufficient extra rooms to meet any needs on this.
>
> In order for us to decide, I'd ask that you do 2 things for me:
> 1. Please document what your planned hackathon activities are (http://www.yapcna.org/yn2013/wiki?node=Hackathons).
> 2. It would be good for us to know how many are interested in the hackathons. Creating an "Ideas" item for each day and getting people to vote would really help us gauge interest and make sure the space is available: http://ideas.yapcna.org/.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up!
> Todd

Todd,

* While any space will be appreciated, a dedicated space like a reserved room will work better than a semi-public area like a coffee shop or dining hall. However, a sufficiently large dedicated hackathon room might support multiple hackathons.

* Based on past experience, hackathons scheduled *during* YAPC do not work as well as pre- or post-YAPC hackathons, because YAPC is always excellent and we don't want to miss any of it.

* Done:
	http://www.yapcna.org/yn2013/wiki?node=Hackathons
	http://ideas.yapcna.org/idea/6290DA56-7AEB-11E2-818A-8AC49D4F7835/perl-ng-hackathon
Hopefully the Ideas page will reflect enough interest to warrant a dedicated space.