Hotel room pricing (Was: Re: Dorm room pricing?)

Greg Meece GMeece at algebraixdata.com
Thu Apr 11 13:48:30 PDT 2013

All -

Hopefully this is an appropriate comment since most of you trying to get reasonable pricing on housing.

I don't have any specific recommendations on hotels, etc. I will say that many people visiting for SXSW and other large venues make use of Austin's (fairly) new light rail system and stay further out from downtown. There is a stop (MLK Jr.) that is fairly close to the U.T. campus, along with a feeder bus route that stops very close (within a block) to the venue (Thompson Conference Center). If you buy a rail ticket or pass, you get the feeder bus pass along with it.

Yes, it does take time to transit, depending on how far away you travel, but it could be the best bet for some of you. I live in Cedar Park (NW Austin area) and worked downtown for 6 years total. I took the bus system for the first job, and used the train whenever I could for the second gig. The train is pretty pleasant and has WiFi (many of the busses do as well).

Anyway - here's a few links:

*         MetroRail stop info for MLK Jr.: http://www.capmetro.org/metrorail.aspx?id=312

*         CapMetro info for the 465 feeder bus: http://www.capmetro.org/schedulemap.aspx?f1=465

*         As an example, La Quinta in Cedar Park<http://www.lq.com/lq/respath/checkAvailability.do?propId=6338&searchCity=Austin&searchState=TX&searchRadius=30&palsra_IND_M=06&palsra_IND_D=03&palsra_IND_Y=2013&palsra_OTD_M=06&palsra_OTD_Y=2013&palsra_OTD_D=05&palsra_NRM=1&palsra_ROC=1&palsra_AMC2=&palsra> (it's a 3-minute drive to the Lakeline Station for MetroRail/CapMetro) shows rates at about $95 right now.

Anyway - I hope everyone enjoys their stay in Austin. I'm a transplanted Californian and I have loved living here for the past 15 years.

Greg Meece
Quality Assurance Engineering Lead
Algebraix Data Corporation
9601 Amberglen Blvd, Suite G-119
Austin, TX 78729
v: (512) 651-5834
f: (512) 651-5844
gmeece at algebraixdata.com

This e-mail message and all attachments may contain private, confidential and privileged information for the sole use of its intended recipients. Any review, copying or distribution of this information by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this message and all attachments.