[yapc] Music at TPF Afterparty

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcatsystems.co.uk
Mon May 28 11:03:01 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:47:09PM -0500, JT Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to ensure The Perl Foundation after party is a success, and I need some feedback.
>
> First, let me dispel the nightclub thing. We've rented out a nightclub because it's the best venue within walking distance that can hold several hundred people at once. And they've let us shut down the place for the night, so that we can use the space as more of a generic bar if that's what everybody prefers. Yes, we've still hired a DJ and yes there will be a dance floor there, but you don't need to dance unless you're into dancing. This is more about having a great time.

Has anybody been there while a night is actually running?

The key thing about places with dance floors is that they often pipe the
music through the rest of the venue loud enough that it's not really possible
to have a conversation involving more than two (or at best three) people.

If I can sit around a table with four or five people and have a conversation
without the volume of the music impinging on our ability to do so, I don't
particularly mind what sort of music it is. If I can't, then even if it's
my favourite music in the world I'd rather be somewhere else since I don't
tend to be on the dance floor the -entire- night.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst