[yapc] Music at TPF Afterparty

Mark Keating m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon May 28 10:51:37 PDT 2012

On 28/05/2012 18:47, JT Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to ensure The Perl Foundation after party is a success, and
> I need some feedback.
>
> First, let me dispel the nightclub thing. We've rented out a nightclub
> because it's the best venue within walking distance that can hold
> several hundred people at once. And they've let us shut down the place
> for the night, so that we can use the space as more of a generic bar
> if that's what everybody prefers. Yes, we've still hired a DJ and yes
> there will be a dance floor there, but you don't need to dance unless
> you're into dancing. This is more about having a great time.
I'll probably dance (badly) as i like that.

> The DJ we've hired is just there to ensure that there's some great
> music playing. He does all kinds of parties like this, and so he's
> used to building a program that fits the crowd. This is where you come
> in, what kind of music are you looking for? Do you want classic rock?
> More bass-heavy dance music? Dub-step? Top 40? What kind of music is
> appealing to the group at large?
Don't mind as long as I kill people if hard core drum and
bass/un-melodic Dubstep is the overall winner (i'm old and remember the
days of uplifting trance as my major dance beat) - but I like just about
everything that has a melody (except Country and Western).

> Also, would something like Karaoke be interesting? Or is that cheesy
> to this crowd?
I would do Karaoke, but I feel that if I say yes they will find my body
strung next to yours on the streetlamps outside of the venue :). I would
harken at likely way too cheesy.

Thanks for the shout-out for preferences :).

Regards

Mark

> JT Smith
> Director, YAPC::NA 2012
> http://www.yapcna.org
>
> PS
>
> Another way you can support Perl is by adding a link to the bottom of
> your web site, or on your credits / thank you page to
> http://www.perl.org <http://www.perl.org/>

Mark Keating BA (Hons), Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder.
Managing Director: http://www.shadow.cat
For more that I do visit: http://www.mdk.me