[yapc] Music at TPF Afterparty

JT Smith admin at yapcna.org
Mon May 28 10:47:09 PDT 2012

I'm trying to ensure The Perl Foundation after party is a success, and I need some feedback.

First, let me dispel the nightclub thing. We've rented out a nightclub because it's the best venue within walking distance that can hold several hundred people at once. And they've let us shut down the place for the night, so that we can use the space as more of a generic bar if that's what everybody prefers. Yes, we've still hired a DJ and yes there will be a dance floor there, but you don't need to dance unless you're into dancing. This is more about having a great time.

The DJ we've hired is just there to ensure that there's some great music playing. He does all kinds of parties like this, and so he's used to building a program that fits the crowd. This is where you come in, what kind of music are you looking for? Do you want classic rock? More bass-heavy dance music? Dub-step? Top 40? What kind of music is appealing to the group at large?

Also, would something like Karaoke be interesting? Or is that cheesy to this crowd?

JT Smith
Director, YAPC::NA 2012
http://www.yapcna.org

PS