[yapc] Missing subcribers

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcatsystems.co.uk
Fri May 25 14:39:38 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 04:09:18PM -0500, JT Smith wrote:
> First, let me address the issue of keeping our attendees informed.  I will be sending a personal email to each letting them know about this list, the blog, and important activities like game night and the (anti)arrival dinner.  From there they can choose what mechanism they wish to use to keep up to date for the next 2-3 weeks until the conference.

Excellent.

Thank you very much.

> Second, it is simply untrue that every YAPC has subscribed their attendees to this list. I've been to at least six YAPC's and I didn't know about this list until December of 2011.

Can't speak to that, not been coming long enough.

> Third, YAPC organizers have been doing a tremendous job running YAPC's for over a decade, and they do this despite self-important grandstanding like has gone on in this thread, not because of it.  I have listened to your feedback, assimilated it, and made a decision not to subscribe the attendees to this list.

Speaking as somebody who now owns two YAPC::NA organiser T-shirts due to
having volunteered to help out with various things in previous years, I
can absolutely agree that feedback needs to be carefully considered rather
than assumed to be correct.

In this case, I'd ask that you consider the use of a call-to-action style
set of links, i.e. pre-prepare mailman subscription links for everybody and

  "To subscribe to the list, <click this link>"

style text - with something similar for the YAPC::NA twitter account, blog
feed etc. - but that's just an idea; I'm sure whatever text you do come up
with will be 100% better than the situation we had before :)

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst