[yapc] Missing subcribers

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Fri May 25 13:54:54 PDT 2012

On 5/25/12 2:51 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * Daniel Wright<dan at dwright.org>  [2012-05-25T14:34:53]
>> The list seems to be running on Mailman, which does have a feature to mail
>> out invitations to the list.
>>
>> Perhaps a good compromise here is to mail everybody going to YAPC an
>> invitation to the list and some text explaining why they should.
>
> That does seem pretty reasonable.
>
> I'd also like to join the chorus of those saying that being joined to the list
> was, in years past, very useful for me.

As it has been for me as well.

This will be my 13th YAPC::NA.  I know that I was not subscribed to the
list before I went to my first YAPC (Pittsburgh, 2000).  Nor do I know
whether I consciously subscribed to the list or was opted-in at some poing.

But I do know that since at least 2003 I have always looked forward to
that point in the spring when activity on this list picks up.  As Uri
has noted, the Arrivals Dinner has always been organized via this list,
as have many other logistical details.  Our use of this list enables us
to enrich the conference in ways that even the most brilliant volunteer
conference organizers would not have time to undertake.  (There have
been years when, for reasons I don't understand, the conference
organizers did not put a lot of effort into posting to the list, and I
think those years' conferences suffered as a result.)

So I strongly concur that:

1. For this year's YAPC, everyone not on the list be sent an email
immediately asking them to subscribe.

2. For future YAPCs, everyone be subscribed upon registration but
provided with an Unsubscribe link.

Virtually everyone who would attend a YAPC has used a Mailman-interface
to subscribe or unsubscribe from a list, so there's no technological
barrier here.

(And, as a side note, I have to shoulder part of the
responsibility/blame for some of what irks people.  Last year, when
conference organizer JT started his daily tweeting about the conference,
I wrote to him saying, "Why aren't you putting this on the YAPC list?")

I hope we can now turn our discussion of where to find the best beer in
Madison.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan