[yapc] Missing subcribers

Casey West casey at geeknest.com
Fri May 25 11:42:39 PDT 2012

Hi Dan,

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Wright <dan at dwright.org> wrote:

> Perhaps a good compromise here is to mail everybody going to YAPC an
> invitation to the list and some text explaining why they should.    If they
> want to join, they just need to click the link.   If they don't, then they
> ignore it and go on with their day.

This is a fantastic suggestion. :-)

> The mailing list is now just one of several channels to get the exact same
> information.   So maybe people are now more likely to want ways to get just
> the facts without all the discussion.

This is also a great point, but I want to highlight one of the advantages
of the mailing list over the blog or Twitter, for example:

The mailing list gives everyone a voice on a level playing field. The blog
and Twitter only give the organizers a voice. As a community event the
organizers aren't the only folks with information to share, but they do
happen to control the widest means of distribution (including mailing list
subscriptions). The benefits of auto-subscribe is that everyone attending
can distribute information to the widest possible *interested* community
members. There's a lot of value in that.

Cheers,
Casey West