[yapc] tad mcclellan, RIP

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Tue May 1 17:28:15 PDT 2012

On 5/1/12 1:52 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:

> i am sorry to tell you all but tad mcclellan died this past sunday. his
> widow called to tell me. tad was a regular at most of the NA yapc's and
> many of you may know him from his training work for stonehenge (randal
> schwartz's outfit) and various online groups. tad was a good friend and
> an excellent perl hacker and trainer. he called a couple of months ago
> to tell me he had terminal cancer but to keep it quiet. i will miss him.
> please send this info to any other places that might want to know of his
> passing.

I particularly remember Tad from YAPC::NA::2000 in Pittsburgh --
Wednesday, June 14, first day of conference.  As a Perl beginner I
decided to attend Randal's all-day Learning Perl track.  IIRC, Randal's
plane was delayed, preventing him from arriving until about 2:00 pm.
Tad rolled out the slides at 9:00 am and gave the Learning Perl
presentation without dropping a beat.

And at the end of the day, not having gotten lost in the 150 slides, I
said, "I can do this!"

So Tad is one of the people I have to thank for my career!

Jim Keenan