[yapc] CERT Secure Coding Initiative Tackles Standard for Perl

Chris Nehren c.nehren/yapc at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 16:14:37 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:42:01 -0700 , Jeffrey Thalhammer wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2012, at 3:17 PM, Robert Blackwell wrote:
>
> > CERT Secure Coding Initiative Tackles Standard for Perl
> > http://www.sei.cmu.edu/newsitems/draft-perl-standard.cfm?wt.ac=hpFeature
> >
> > Is anyone at YAPC::NA involved?
>
> I hadn't seen that before.  But it looks like most of their rules are
> based on Perl Best Practices and Perl::Critic.

Not exactly. The list of items doesn't espouse the same puritanical fear
of the language that I've come to loathe about PBP and PC. These seem to
be largely reasonable without any of the silly suggestions (like using
Class::Std or banning unless or banning statement modifiers or cargo
culting regex modifiers even when they're irrelevant or ...) that are in
PBP.

--
Chris Nehren           | Coder, Sysadmin, Masochist
Shadowcat Systems Ltd. | http://shadowcat.co.uk/