[yapc] YAPC::NA 2012's Legacy For Organizers

YAPC::NA Director admin at yapcna.org
Sat Jun 2 05:00:03 PDT 2012

The organizers of the past few conferences gave us some good data and some
great advice, but prior to YAPC in Madison, there has been very little
infrastructure handed down from one organizer to another. As we go into the
home stretch before YAPC::NA_2012, our team will give a wealth of
infrastructure to the next YAPC::NA organizers, whomever they may be. To them
we leave behind:
    * A standard domain:Â yapcna.org. It is short, easy to remember, and
      specific to our conference.
    * A Facebook_Page with >100 built-in followers.
    * A Twitter_account with >100 built-in followers.
    * An RSS_feed with >100 built-in subscribers.
    * blog.yapcna.org, which is not only full of content, but which has been
      integrated into blogs.perl.org, the YAPC mailing list, Facebook, Tumblr,
      Twitter, RSS, email subscriptions, and Ironman Perl.
    * www.yapcna.org, (hosted by Plain_Black) which is full of great content
      that can be used as a starting point year after year. As time goes on,
      this site will be something that the Perl community just knows and can
      point to. And its page rank in search engines will continue to soar as
      more and more sites link to it over the years.
    * A Google Apps account complete with GMail, Google Docs, and Google
      Analytics.
    * A spreadsheet of over 150 potential donors for YAPC::NA, and what their
      historical response to sponsoring YAPC has been since 2009.
    * A project plan containing a list of everything that needs to be checked
      off in order to ensure a successful conference.
    * A budget to work from with line-item details for every single expense and
      revenue of YAPC::NA 2012.
    * All the historical documentation that we were able to gather from the
      organizers of YAPC::NA 2009 through 2012.
We hope this is the start of a tradition. Our team hopes that each year YAPC
organizers hand down a set of tools and technologies that is greater than those
left to them.
Wed also like to start one more tradition. We set all kinds of records this
year: we sold more tickets than any previous YAPC::NA (though we have a long
way to go to beat YAPC::Asia); we sold out of both workshops and the hackathon;
we raised a lot of money from our_amazing_sponsors; and we made important
changes to the structure and execution of YAPC that we hope will set a good
path for YAPC for years to come. So the tradition wed like to start this year,
is for every YAPC to out promote, out fund raise, and out sell every YAPC that
comes before it. We hope that the tools weve left behind will not only make
this possible, but easier, for those who come after us; just as the data and
advice we received from previous YAPC organizers gave us a good starting point.
We wish the applicants for YAPC::NA 2013 the best of luck with their bid and
their conference.
[From the YAPC::NA_Blog.]