[yapc] I need your help with Perl and the Internet of Things at YAPC::NA

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Thu Jan 12 22:49:33 PST 2012

Hi Robert,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Robert Blackwell
<robert at robertblackwell.com> wrote:

> Physical Computing, Internet of Things it does not really matter what you
> call it. We are talking about controlling things. Maybe you just want a text
> message when your doorbell rings or maybe you want to print in 3D straight
> from Perl using a Makerbot. Maybe you just want more control over your
> Christmas lights, CheerLights. Maybe there are dirty words you want your TV
> to just mute.
>
> Arduino, PWM, servo motors, stepper motors, wii controllers, the list goes
> on and on. Have you ever wondered what it all means and how to connect them
> all?
>
> Many of you know I am working on getting the Perl community interested in
> the Internet of Things and in getting CPAN stuffed full of Internet of
> Things code. To do that I need more people interested and enable to hack in
> the Internet of Things space.
>
> I know we can make Perl a choice language for scripting the physical world
> together.
>
> What do you want to learn?
> What can I facilitate?
> What projects do you need help with?
> Would you pay for a class to learn about something non Perl like how to use
> an Arduino?
> What do you want to learn?
> What do you need?
>
> There is a lot of non Perl to learn in order to do things. But just like
> there is Baby Perl there is Baby Internet of Things. You can really do
> interesting things with out having an EE degree.
>
> Don't fear the connected future help build it.

I bought an Arduino a year ago and Martin Berends helped me get  started with it
programming it in it C-like language but quickly got stuck for two main reasons
1) lack of time
2) 0, or even negative understanding in electronics - all the physical
part of it

Since then I accumulated a lot of junk - in preparation to the time
when I need various physical devices to hook up to my Arduino but that
time is still on its way.

I don't think you can help with (1) well, unless you help me get lot
of people buy my training classes :)
(and thank *you* for buying it) but (2) might be something interesting and fun
even if I don't see how is it useful.

It might be more fun to program my Arduino in Perl but I don't mind
playing with the C code.
The thing I would really need help with is understanding the electronics part.

Oh and an idea. I'd love to see some robot competition at YAPCs.

Sorry if this wasn't much help.

regards
    Gabor