[yapc] This is a QR Code. We’re going to use QR Codes a lot at...

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Fri Jan 6 08:48:56 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Chas. Owens <chas.owens at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:26, Zachary Zebrowski <zak.zebrowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Let me rephrase, now that I had some coffee and some time to think...
>>
>> My knee jerk reaction was more about the ambiguity of qr codes - you can put
>> whatever you want on them.  If there is agreement as to what will be put on
>> them - a vcard, or a url to the contact page *which I can control*, that's
>> good.  However, if the point is to provide the sponsors with contact
>> information so they can email me after the fact, without my permission,
>> because anyone can take a camera and have contact information for anyone in
>> the photo, is what I was wondering about.  I agree that using QR codes or
>> other similar mechanism, for people that *want* to share information is a
>> great mechanism at a conference.  Otherwise, allow people to opt out as they
>> see fit.
> snip
>
> I was planning on replacing mine with something humorous regardless of
> what they put on it.
>

> --
> Chas. Owens
> wonkden.net
> The most important skill a programmer can have is the ability to read.

The original post could be interpreted to indicate that person A takes
a scans person B's code.
Then person A's information is sent to person B.

Assuming good security, each person is in control of who they share
their information with.

If that is true, I think further explanation on the part of the
original poster would be worthwhile.

--
Michael Potter
Replatform Technologies, LLC