[yapc] "Sold out"

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Mon Apr 30 09:41:38 PDT 2012

On 04/30/2012 12:35 PM, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, JT Smith wrote:
>
>> And you are absolutely right. Future organizers it is very very
>> difficult to predict how many people will attend. Some has to do with
>> the economy,
>> some has to do with the city in which you hold it, some has to do with
>> how expensive overnight rooms are, some has to do with who else's
>> going to
>> be there, and a lot has to do with how much you're doing to promote
>> the event. If you're unsure, certainly err on the side of having too
>> much space
>> rather than too little.
>
> Since this is looking to be the best attended YAPC::NA ever (or in a
> long time?) I think it'd be great if you and the team could document
> some of what you did, _especially_ in regards to advertising.
>
> In general, I wish conference organizers would do a better job of
> documenting what they did, since organization duties rotate to new
> people every year. I know this is tough, since before the conference
> you're busy and after you're exhausted, but it would be incredibly useful.

extreme ditto here. we have had some info written up over the years and
much of our group knowledge is still passed down somewhat slowly. most
confs have the same core team so they can build up skills and
experience. as dave said, we have new leaders/core almost every year
(josh did two chicago's close together). yapc sales tend to be backended
with the usual late rush. that is why i am so impressed with the 400
sold with 6 weeks to go. typical by this time would be 200 and the
second 200 coming in over the next few weeks.

thanx,