[yapc] "Sold out"

JT Smith admin at yapcna.org
Mon Apr 30 08:58:29 PDT 2012

Happy to. The problem is finding single rooms that will hold 400+ people. We have the keynote, the lightning talks, the banquet, the Linode Beer Garden, and the cPanel game room. All those events need to be able to support the entire attendance of YAPC in a single room. The University has such spaces, but they aren't all available to YAPC, as they have their own events using them. So the event spaces we could get are limited to around 400 people.

That said, YAPC organizers would do well to get fixed facilities so they can "Sell Out". Selling out has an important psychological effect on the community and even beyond the community. It says that what we're doing is important, and valuable. It makes people curious what's going on at YAPC, and makes them more eager to attend the next event.

I'm not saying you should go for a deliberately small facility, just one you think you have the ability to sell out. The largest YAPC::NA in history (YAPC Chicago 2008) was in the 380  range, and last year's YAPC was less than 300 people. So booking a facility that can support 400 people is certainly not going small. However, if next year's YAPC organizers think they'll only be able to pull in 300 people, then they shouldn't be booking a space for 500. They should do 325 or 350, something just over what they think they can sell out. So they have a reasonable goal to shoot for, but still have the ability to sell out.

This is of course just my opinion, but I know many people share it. If the organizers of YAPC::NA 2013 choose not to take this advice that's absolutely fine. It's their YAPC, and I wouldn't dream of telling them how to run it.

JT Smith
Director, YAPC::NA 2012
http://www.yapcna.org

PS