[yapc] arrival dinner scholarships

Jon Miner miner at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 18 12:34:45 PDT 2012

Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

jon

On 4/18/12 12:19 AM, Uri Guttman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i was thinking about the arrival dinner and the extra $3 each attendee
> will pay. i know some yapc attendees didn't come to the arrival dinner
> because of money issues. these usually are starving students and the
> underemployed. so my idea is to use the extra cash to offer some free
> arrival dinners. if we have about 100 (typical minimum for the arrival
> dinner) paid attendees, we can offer about 8-10 scholarships to the
> dinner. drinks will be extra but i am sure others will buy a beer or two
> for them! :)
>
> any interest in this idea? i haven't thought about how to organize this
> or figure out who gets the scholarships or anything. if you are
> interested in getting one of these scholarships, email me off list. when
> i get some idea of the interest, i will post/wiki more about it.
>
> thanx,
>
> uri

.Jonathan J. Miner------------------Division of Information Technology.
|miner at doit.wisc.edu                 University Of Wisconsin - Madison|
|608/262.9655                               Room 3148 Computer Science|

Reason #6 to quit your job and move to Key West:  Everybody stares at me when
I drink margaritas at meetings.
     -- Christopher Shultz and David L. Sloan, "Quit your job an move to Key West"