[yapc] Pre-conference dinner, Sunday June 26

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 07:41:53 PDT 2011

On 6/24/11 5:16 PM, David H. Adler wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 09:55:35PM -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
> In the meantime, it's now the Friday before the conference and there
> doesn't seem to have been a decision made on what to do about the
> dinner.

I arrived in Asheville yesterday and was able to go by the Lexington
Avenue Brewery ("the LAB"), the first site listed on the wiki page
(http://www.yapc2011.us/yn2011/wiki?node=ArrivalDinner).  I spoke with
staff there about whether they would be able to accommodate a sudden
influx of YAPCite and Perlmongers Sunday at or after 6:00 pm.  They said
they would.   They said that if we could call ahead with a count a
little while before we arrive, they could devise good seating arrangements.

I would therefore like to recommend that we make Lexington Avenue
Brewery our default choice for the Arrivals Dinner.  By saying "default
choice," I'm simply saying:  Some of us are definitely going there;
everyone else is welcome to join us.  Since this isn't an official part
of the conference, you're welcome to dine and drink wherever you like.
Downtown Asheville (which is where the LAB is though, not where the
hotel is), has many dining and drinking options.  And, according to LAB
staff, downtown Asheville is "mellow" on Sundays and hence most places
would welcome your business.

Lexington Avenue Brewery
39 Lexington Ave, Asheville NC 28801
828.252.0212
http://www.lexavebrew.com/
Menu: http://www.lexavebrew.com/pdf/LAB_Menu.pdf?v=6
Driving directions from Crowne Plaza: http://tinyurl.com/6533pkx

1.  Assuming you want to join us at the LAB, please enter your name on
the wiki page (above) so we can get an approximate head count.

2.  Assemble at the front door on the Crowne Plaza starting at 5:30 pm
so we can begin matching people with cars or taxis.

3.  If you have a car and can take people along on the six-minute drive
to the LAB, please do so.  (Of course, that makes you the "designated
driver.")

4.  We'll aim to have our first arrivals at the LAB by 6:00 pm.  My
guess is that there will be people there at least to 9:00 pm, so if you
don't arrive at the hotel until after 6:00, you still have time to get
over to the LAB and join us.

5.  Recommend bringing cash to make it easier to split cab fares and
dinner tabs.

6.  Not interested in brew and bar food?  There's always the
Anti-Arrivals Dinner option.
http://www.yapc2011.us/yn2011/wiki?node=AntiArrivalDinner.

Hope to see you starting at 5:30 pm tomorrow.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan