[yapc] Talk submissions are closed

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Thu Apr 29 11:45:34 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:38, Michael Peters <mpeters at plusthree.com> wrote:
> On 04/29/2010 02:27 PM, Chris Nehren wrote:
>
>> How many tracks does OSCON have?
>
> About 11 (depends on the day/time, etc) tracks and they are expecting about
> 2,500 people. So they have a much bigger person-per-track size than we do.
>
> But that's not my main concern. My main concern is quality. If there's no
> filter there's no quality. I know that organizing a conference is a ton of
> work (and it's work I haven't done yet which makes me even less qualified to
> comment) but I still feel like it's important to know that talks were
> selected because they were quality proposals and good, interesting topics.
> Not because we had a whole bunch of rooms available.

Having seen some proposals, sometimes the organizers have really only
a vague idea of what's really going to get presented -- the talks
aren't even written yet so arguably the speaker isn't even sure :-) A
large part (IMO) of a talk's quality is speaker presentation too, and
there's no way of easily inferring that from the written proposal
either. There are some speakers I'd listen to whatever subject, and
vice versa...

A couple of things you can do: look at talks you're interested in and
try to find past talks by the author online; network with people and
try to get a sense of "who's good" and base your decision on that.

Paul