[yapc] Transportation from Amtrak station to dorms

Rick Scott rick at shadowspar.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 12 10:15:47 PDT 2009

(Packy Anderson:)
> I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm going to get from Union
> Station downtown to the dorm at CMU.

Union Station sits essentially on the northeast corner of downtown.
Almost every bus route makes a run through some part of downtown,
so if there's a bus that goes where you want, you'll be able to pick it
up there.  The only thing that might concern is if you have large luggage
since the bus stop you want might be several blocks away from the station.
If you have a backpack or small bag you are golden.

> Pittsburgh's public transit website isn't particularly helpful in
> telling me if it's possible to get a bus from point A to point B
> (or relatively nearby).

For almost all intents and purposes you can forget that the Port Authority
website exists at all and not be any worse off.  Google Maps is what you
want to use for trip planning.

> Are there taxicabs that sit around at Union Station, or is Pburgh
> more like smaller cities, where you have to call a cab to come get
> you?  And how much would a cab cost?  A couple bucks, or should I be
> packing Benjamins to cover cab fare?

ISTR there was a taxi stand at Union Station, but I could be mistaken.
I usually end up picking up cabs from downtown at the stand outside of
the William Penn.  You can call for a cab if need be.

$45 will get you to the airport, so I would think that $20 would cover
you to CMU.  Save your Benjamins for the auction. =)

Cheers,
Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE  D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
When we repress the feminine--whether in ourselves, in our religion,