[yapc] CTA travel this weekend

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Sat Jun 14 13:58:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:59:56PM -0500, Elliot Shank wrote:
> Those of you planning on traveling via the CTA this weekend, especially from O'Hare to IIT, should be aware of work being done this weekend.
>
>     Red Line: http://tinyurl.com/5j2nh2
>     Blue Line: http://tinyurl.com/2hhund

I just went through the Blue Line work and I thought I'd send a report
so people know what to expect.  When you take the blue line out of
O'Hare, you go a few stops, then they make everyone get off the train
at Harlem.  They herd everyone onto shuttle buses, ferry you to the
next stop (Jefferson Park), then herd you back onto the blue line to
continue on to downtown.

The bus ride itself took about 10 minutes, but the entire process took
closer to 20.  Since it probably takes about 5 minutes to go between
stations anyway, it adds about 15 minutes to the overall commute.

It's a hassle, but it's not particularly difficult.  Just follow the
other passengers and the small army of CTA personel at each station.

One other comment on the CTA at O'Hare.  There are two types of
farecard machines there -- one dispenses visitor passes, the other
type the normal pay-as-you-go cards.  The visitor card machines (which
probably most folks will be getting, if they haven't preordered them)
take credit cards.  However, the other ones (which I wanted to get)
only take cash.

Walt