[yapc] Pre-Hackathon musings

Will Coleda will at coleda.com
Fri Jun 13 21:15:05 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Allison Randal <allison at perl.org> wrote:
> Joshua McAdams wrote:
>>>
>>> Do we have a location yet for the pre-conference hackathon other than
>>> "somewhere in the dorms"?
>>
>> There is a lounge on each floor of each wing of the dorms.  We have
>> South 1st-4th, East 1st-4th, and North 1st, so there should be at
>> least nine areas to choose from and possibly more.  On the layout that
>> I've seen, the lounges on the first floors seem to be a little smaller
>> than those on the higher floors, so if the hack-a-thon gets big, you
>> might have to go up to spread out.  I'm not sure what is in each
>> lounge yet.
>
> There's a also huge lounge area with comfortable chairs on the first floor
> of McCormick between the 4 wings. When you check in and get your dorm map,
> it's listed as the "McCormick Lounge" between North Hall and Fowler Hall. I
> only see 4 power outlets for the whole huge room, though, and they're not
> close to the chairs, so pack your powerstrips/extension cables.

+1; Having just spent several minutes lounging down there, it's
spacious, and the seats are comfy. I have a few extension cords, and a
power strip, but probably not enough to go around.

> The lounges in the wings have a power outlet every 6 feet or so, the rooms
> are about 10x10. Most have 4 dining chairs and a couch, some have an extra
> couple of arm chairs.
>
> Allison
>
> P.S. This message sent on the dorm wireless, with strong signal and fast
> connection. (At least until everybody else shows up.)

We talked about a start time, and are leaning towards 9-ish. I'm sure
at least one of us will have stumbled downstairs by then.

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda