[yapc] Rental car: nice to have, or just a nuisance?

Trey Harris trey at lopsa.org
Sat Jun 7 14:21:27 PDT 2008

In 2006, I didn't have a car, I flew into Midway, and stayed at the Club
Quarters in the Loop.  I didn't miss having a car--it would have been a
nuisance, staying downtown--and the only time I even thought a car would
have been handy was when I missed a couple talks I wanted to see because
there were lunch excursions off campus that took too long by train.

Now I work at a company that's booked me a rental car just as a matter of
course.  Since it's covered, cost isn't really a factor, and I certainly
don't mind just parking it and leaving it, and still using the train when
everybody else does.

This time I'm flying into O'Hare and staying in the dorm.  My flight
arrives at 2pm on Sunday, and leaves at 12:30pm on Thursday, so traffic is
probably going to be about as good as it ever is.

So, what would folks recommend?  Cancel the car, or keep it just in case
it comes in handy?  (I haven't seen the answer to the question about
whether there's direct CTA from O'Hare, so I guess the answer to that will
help answer this.)

(And if I keep the car, do I need to buy new Chicago-area maps for my GPS
for this trip?  Its maps are about two years old.)

Trey