[yapc] Jam!

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 07:57:12 PDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Tim Maher <tim at consultix-inc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 04:08:02AM +0300, Yuval Kogman wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:42:17 -0700, Chris Nandor wrote:
> > > So, we're going to have a Jam BOF at YAPC.  At some point.  May be
> > > impromptu.  But bring your instruments.  So far we have an acoustic and an
> > > electric guitar lined up.
> >
> > Does anybody want to buy my double bass a plane ticket and a travel
> > case? ;-)
> >
> >   Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
>
> Buy me a free seat, and I'll bring along my Indian sitar,
> whose case is 5 feet long and very unwieldy.  For 6 years I
> regularly biked on icy roads in Toronto while holding the
> case's handle with one hand--trying not to slide under too
> many buses--so it's a miracle we're both still in one piece!

I know the feeling.   I used to ride a bike about five miles to
trombone lessons in high school.   If I were a little older, I'd say
it was uphill both ways, but it was actually pretty flat.    It really
sucked when it rained, but at least I didn't have to deal with ice!

>From what I know of the sitar, it is a difficult instrument to learn
and even harder to master.   It's too bad it doesn't travel better.
I know I wouldn't check my trombone and it's not even a particularly
nice one.

If anybody warns me before they bring their
trombone/euphonium/bassoon/anything in C/bass clef, I'll bring mine
and some duets.    I can also dig up my Jamie Abersold CD if people
want to tool around with Jazz improv.

-Al Tobey
--
The definition of a gentleman is somebody who can play the trombone,
but doesn't.

> -Tim
> P.S. I have Ravi Shankar's autograph on the back of my Viet Nam
> era draft card--no kidding!

Cool!