[yapc] Safe spots for road bike at IIT?

Kent Cowgill kent at c2group.net
Mon Jun 19 13:30:20 PDT 2006

Bring a non-bic-pen-pickable u-lock, and probably also a kryptonite chain.

If you have a nice seat, remove it.

If you're staying in the dorms, bring it into your dorm room, and i'd even
u-lock it there.

And please, make sure you lock it to a designated bike locking device -
permanently attached to the ground via concrete, not small trees or "no
parking" sign posts where a determined would-be-theif could lift it up
over the sign.

Remove any easily removeable bike computers, water bottles, toolkits,
under-seat bags, etc.

I've seen lesser bikes taken (or picked apart) from the loop unless these
kinds of precautions are in place!  Even with a heavy pedestrian presense.

-Kent