[yapc] A word of caution

York, Joel Joel.York at chicagogsb.edu
Fri Jun 16 15:06:36 PDT 2006

I attended IIT a little more recently (early 90s) and I would say that
you don't need to worry so much as long as you stay on campus. The 7-11
in the middle of campus attracts a large amount of police (free coffee
for them), which helps. ;)
However, I wouldn't recommend going south of 35th at night, unless in
groups or during a Sox game. Taking the el should be okay for the most
part.

I work at the U of C and right now, we've had some serious crime
problems for the last year or so, but, even so, the students here seem
to have more fun that I did when I was going to IIT. Could be a grass is
greener thing, though.

My last word of caution: keep your wallet out of your back pocket.
Getting your pocket picked sucks.

Joel