[yapc] A word of caution

Anderson, Patrick patrick.anderson at bankofamerica.com
Thu Jun 15 12:47:22 PDT 2006

I think it's more inertia than frugality.  I know my old school
(Manhattan College) and our arch-rivals (Fordham University) both
situated themselves in The Bronx back when The Bronx was "the country".
I know my school moved out of Manhattan in 1927, around the same time as
the NY Botanical Society creating the Botanical Gardens and the NY
Zoological Society starting the Bronx Zoo.  Over time, the bad
neighborhoods grew up around them.

I'd suspect that most of these urban universities were situated just
outside of town when they were founded, and the town has grown to absorb
them like a hyperactive amoeba.