[yapc] swag card game

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Wed Jul 5 15:06:58 PDT 2006

  >> well, rjbs did some on the wiki page with his fiats and house rules. he
  >> saw some of the same ambiguities i saw.

  JS> The rules are that you have 5 cards in your hand, and draw back up
  JS> to 5 each turn. You play one card per turn. Secrets are played
  JS> face down in front of the person you want them to affect, and NO
  JS> you can't look at your own secrets. Half the fun of the game is
  JS> deciding whether to get rid of your own secrets, or risk letting
  JS> them come out.

i figured out that putting a secret with a good benefit in front of me
was a good idea late in the game. the other players kept asking when
benefits come in and i guessed (correctly) that the election card would
say. that bit and some of the costs stuff needs to be clarified IMO.

  JS> Cards that say you get one less card per turn, or one more card
  JS> mean that you draw up to 4 cards, or up to 6 cards rather than
  JS> 5. The reason that it doesn't just say that is because if you
  JS> reshuffle the deck then you have a chance of drawing the card
  JS> again, and thusly go down to 3 or up to 7.

that is not what the cards say. :(

it should say you now can *HOLD* 1 fewer/more cards from now on. i was
drawing 2 cards each round according to the instructions. 'get' ne
'hold'. also does that last the whole game or just the primaries or
election round?

  JS> Anything else you want to know, ask specifically.

i wasn't sure the best way to play some of the 'play anytime' or 'play
when a secret is revealed'. i deduced that you could form alliances (we
didn't as it was our first game and only had 4 players. this needs to be
played with more i think for the dynamics to work better) and use some
of your cards for the good of others. but even then there can be only 1
winner so backstabbing will ensue.

  JS> I did read some of his rules, and they are quite interesting. I
  JS> may incorporate some of those ideas into a future release if we
  JS> ever do another release.

so that is your game invention too? some of rjbs's ideas seem
interesting. it would be nice to have more of the rules explained on a
sheet and not on a short card. also the quotes and factoids seemed
somewhat boring at times. but that can't be helped and once the game is
played a bunch i am sure they will be ignored from seeing them too
often.

Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com