[yapc] DOC: glossary

Jose Castro jose.castro at log.pt
Mon Jul 3 03:24:53 PDT 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 11:23 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:

> hi to all docathon hackers (and others too),
>
> one idea we came up with during the docathon is that perl6 needs a
> glossary. would the terms autobox or mixin make any sense to a newcomer
> who didn't know any OO theory? so this is a proposal to start a
> glossary
> as a new S\d+ or other document. here are some ideas i have been
> bouncing in my skull that i would like to see in it:
>
> the list of terms should include all of perl6's special variable names,
> namespaces (including the term namespace! :), keywords, OO theory terms
> (like autobox). i think it should also include many/most of parrot's
> terms as there is some overlap. stuff like haskell, pugs, PGE, and
> others should also be included. i don't think perl6 ops should be
> included.
>
> each term should have a pronunciation if it isn't obvious.

No. Even the ones that are obvious should have a pronunciation. Please
keep in mind that non-English-native speakers have a hard time with
pronouncing these things correctly, myself included. Things like $_,
@_, %something are not as obvious to us as they are to you :-)

So please... add pronunciation :-)

> of course there should be a succinct definition of no more than a
> couple
> of sentences.
>
> a reference to the S\d+ docs that discuss the term in depth
>
> links/references to longer definitions on the web for non-perl specific
> terms like autobox.
>
> a 'see also' section referring to other terms.
>
> i think a pumpking should be annointed to own the master doc. this
> would
> be a great job for anyone who wants to help as you don't even need to
> understand all the terms or be a core perl6 hacker. you just need to
> know how to alphabetize, format and handle patches, google a bit for
> external links, track xrefs and see also's and such. this is basically
> an ongoing editor job. a first task would be to create this doc and to
> create a pod template for entries. then others can submit entries in
> that format or the pumpking can edit them into that format.
>
> we can start with just a list of terms and they can be filled out
> incrementally. i do expect this to be fairly large with several hundred
> terms.
>
> i will post a starter list of terms soon. it will just be words i have
> been seeing in S02 which is the spec i have been editing. all the other
> docathon hackers (and anyone else) can submit lists as well. when we
> have a pumpking, then the glossary doc itself can be started. if you
> want to submit entries do that too.
>
> thanx,
>
> uri
>
> --
> Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  --------
> http://www.stemsystems.com
> --Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and
> Coding-
> Search or Offer Perl Jobs  ----------------------------
> http://jobs.perl.org

José Castro <jose.castro at log.pt>
log <www.log.pt>
Tel: +351 21 330 42 20
Fax: +351 21 330 42 19
Av. Duque de Ávila nº23, 1000-138 Lisboa