[yapc] batman on imax

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Jun 21 12:18:17 PDT 2005

Rex> I saw the matrix sequel in imax and it was a full imax movie.
Rex> I'm sort of surprised that batman isn't full imax, too, if they're
Rex> bothering to show it in the theater.

Wikipedia says (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imax>) that these movies
are "DMR".  So they're technically "Imax DMR", but not really "Imax".

And when you mean "full Imax movie", did it fill the Imax screen from
top to bottom (just like the imax previews), or just the middle third
of the screen (letterboxed)?  I'd be surprised if they recut a Matrix
movie using Pan-and-Scan so that it was square instead of 2.35:1.
Especially when Pan-and-Scan for television is 1.85:1.  I can't
imagine how much the editor has to work to get that into 1:1. :)

Especially when the IMDB
<http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0234215/alternateversions> says:

  The 16mm print of the film (sent to college campuses, etc.) features
  some scenes in letterboxed widescreen form and some scenes in
  Academy ratio (i.e. full-frame). In at least one scene, this format
  revealed more than the directors intended (see goofs).