[yapc] Note taking during the conference

Drew Taylor drew at drewtaylor.com
Tue Jun 7 13:07:16 PDT 2005

Now that I have a powerbook and have been introduced to the wonders of
SubEthaEdit & the iSight, I wonder how these tools could be used to do
more effective note taking/archiving of talks. Will the talks be
recorded on video for later DL by attendees? Would an iSight from the
front row work well enough as far as light & sound go?

On the note taking front, anyone have experience on using SubEtha on a
large scale? Is there a practical/hardcoded limit to the number of
participants? Do all the macheads out there know about SubEthaEdit? If
you don't, quickly go to http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ and
download it. As a programming IDE, it's not the greatest (it does have
the basic emacs keybindings) but it's fabulous for group document
editing. There are so many talks I want to attend, but since I'm going
alone this year I can't possibly get notes from them all. Thus I want
to tap into the group collective to help me record as much knowledge as
possible. Think wiki's but in real-time.

I've been using SubEtha + iChatAV + iSight to do pair programming with
a client who is in Italy for the summer and the combination is quite
astounding. We're nearly as productive 5000 miles apart as we were 3
feet apart.

Drew