[yapc] Time to freeze the wiki?

Michael Schwern schwern.michael at grantstreet.com
Tue Jun 29 13:03:25 CDT 2004

On 29/06/04 00:44 -0500, Bill Odom wrote:
> Some jerk keeps spamming the yapc kwiki. Is it time to freeze and
> archive
> it? Or is there a better way to solve this problem?

Maybe put up a little guilt note on the front page.

"YOUR WIKI SPAM BOT IS PROBABLY WRITTEN IN PERL.  DON'T BITE THE HAND
THAT FEEDS YOU."

Ok, that's not likely to work.

Other option:  Wiki spam bots probably have simple rules for each
flavor of wiki.  If one makes yapc.kwiki.org a little different from
the stock kwiki it will probably break most of the spam bots.  They
probably won't put in the investment to work around one special case,
spamming is about volume.

I'll bet if you just change the CGI attribute name of the edit
<textarea> you'll break most of the spam bots for a while (until they
just start looking for any <textarea>).  In fact, that would be a nice
Kwiki configuration option.